Forest Preschool Educator (ECE certificate required)
Start Date: September 1 2018
STATUS: Part-time (Tues and Thurs 11 hrs/wk or M-Th 22 hrs/wk [children present 4hr/day])
Job Description & Requirements
LFS is seeking applications for an energetic, enthusiastic, creative, self-motivated Early Childhood Educator for our OUTDOOR preschool program. The successful candidate will be working with our senior ECE Forest Practitioner, organizing and implementing a stimulating, dynamic forest preschool programme that encourages a holistic view of child development. If you can envision yourself joining our team and submerging yourself completely outdoors for our preschool day, we would love to receive your application.
LFS is a play-based, place-based child-emergent, all outdoors, all-weather forest preschool. We follow a Sept to June (incl) curriculum M-Th for 4 hours each day (9:30-1:30) for 3-5 year old children. Our program is based out of Williams Park in Langley, BC where children learn in a natural environment that focuses on student-led learning and environmental stewardship.
LFS offers a competitive wage, paid vacation days and holidays, professional development funds, with time and supplies to implement program-specific strategies, and a clothing allowance, all in a close-knit community school with a strong Board and parental support.
This is a chance to be mentored alongside an experienced outdoor ECE educator. If there is a qualified applicant who can provide a strong commitment to the school, LFS may be able to arrange funds for the right candidate to obtain forest practitioner training.
- Alongside co-teacher, plan and implement a dynamic forest preschool program
- Ensure the safety of all children including but not limited to forest play, hiking, climbing trees or while in close proximity to such things as standing water, streams and other terrain
- Ensure the daily preparation of learning areas and materials
- Assume overall responsibility for program tools and equipment, to include safety, use, and maintenance
- Plan, prepare, and co-create seasonal activities and projects utilizing natural materials, locally foraged or sourced
- Implement mentorship strategies that are individually focused and age appropriate, with an emphasis on compassion and respect
- Attend monthly staff meetings, Board Meetings every 2 months, staff trainings, and parent meetings as needed (compensated as extra hours)
- Communicate with parents effectively, in person, by phone, or e-mail regarding the program and the progress of their child or children
- Be physically capable of performing teaching duties with enthusiasm regardless of the weather (rain, sleet, snow, heat) including the ability to walk distances and over uneven terrain, carry a backpack and supplies
- Support the benefits of risk taking, movement, and physical development in the early years
- Encourage familiarity with the local flora and fauna, to include poisonous plants and their location, or be willing to be mentored, seek outside training or self-study
- Model and teach outdoor skills including risk management, knots, shelter building, self-care/appropriate clothing, leave-no-trace practices and interacting with local wildlife
- ECE certificate.
- Current First Aid Certificate.
- Current Criminal Record Check.
- Must be able to demonstrate thorough knowledge of preschool curriculum
- Demonstrated ability to contribute as a strong and effective team member (will be team teaching)
- Demonstrated communication and behavioural/class management skills with preschoolers
- Preferably a minimum of 3 years work experience in a preschool setting
- Experience in the area of outdoor education focusing on play-based, student-led learning.
- Ability to demonstrate thorough knowledge and recent experience with curriculum implementation in the outdoor setting
- Knowledge of good environmental practices, environmental stewardship, local flora and fauna
Interested applicants should submit an application package to the Human Resources Department at: email@example.com
Please ensure your application package includes the following:
- Cover letter
- A resume of qualifications and experience
- Two Letters of reference or reference contacts who have observed you teach
Copies of latest teacher evaluations and/or final practicum evaluation reports if applicable.
Copies of your transcripts to date (Photocopies are acceptable).
Occasional ECE / ECE On-Call
- ECE certificate.
- Work experience in a preschool setting, preferably with experience in the area of outdoor education.
- Must be able to demonstrate thorough knowledge of preschool curriculum.
- Ability to demonstrate thorough knowledge and recent experience with curriculum implementation in the outdoor setting.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute as a strong and effective team member.
- Satisfactory teacher evaluations and/or school reports.
- Effective written and oral interpersonal skills.
- A highly effective team member.
2. A resume of qualifications and experience
3. Copies of latest teacher evaluations and/or final practicum evaluation reports if applicable.
4. Letters of reference
5. Copies of your transcripts to date (Photocopies are acceptable)
7. Name of three referees who have observed you teach.